1 small onion
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
2 lbs chopped cooked chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped pimiento or 1/2 cup sauteed red bell peppers or 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. rease the bottom and sides of an 11x7 inch baking dish or 10 inch quiche dish.
3. Chop the onion.
4. Heat butter in a small nonstick skillet and saute until tender.
5. Combine cooked onion, soup, chicken, milk, pimiento, and mayo in a bowl and then turn into the prepared baking dish.
6. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
7. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the baked mixture.
8. Arrange biscuits decoratively in a single layer and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over them.
9. Return casserole to oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, usually about 20 minutes longer.
10. NOTE: 02/16/09: This is RICH! You may sub sour cream for all or part of the mayo if you wish to cut back on the heaviness. The last time I made this I used a 1/4 cup of fat free mayo and 1/4 cup of sour cream. I think it was delicious! Also -- I took the suggestion of adding a cup of cooked green peas. What a terrific idea! I LOVED it! I think I might add two cups next time. Thanks to you all for making my humble recipe and leaving your suggestions. You GREATLY improved a recipe I was already proud of. Thanks so much.