5 egg whites
3 egg yolks
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla-butter-nut flavoring or 2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup sugar*
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 4-serving-size package fat-free sugar-free reduced-calorie vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup frozen sugar-free whipped dessert topping, thawed
1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar-free chocolate-flavor syru
1. For cake, place egg whites in a large bowl and egg yolks in a medium bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper with cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add flavoring to egg yolks; beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup of the sugar, beating on high speed until sugar is almost dissolved. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg yolk mixture; gently fold in just until combined. Thoroughly wash beaters. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold 1/2 cup of the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
3. Bake about 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan; turn cake out onto a clean dish towel. Remove parchment paper. Starting from a short side, roll towel and cake into a spiral. Cool on a wire rack.
4. For filling, in a medium bowl whisk together milk and pudding mix just until thickened. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
5. Unroll cooled cake; remove towel. Spread filling to within 1 inch of edges. Thinly slice one of the bananas over the filling. Roll up cake. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours. To serve, thinly slice the remaining banana. Top cake roll with sliced banana and sliced strawberries. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
* We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.