1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Splenda® Granular sugar substitute
4 egg whites
1/4 cup hazelnuts (filberts), toasted,* skinned, and ground
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 cups frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
1/2 cup Rawtella® low-carb, gluten-free chocolate hazelnut spread
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Toasted chopped hazelnuts (filberts) (optional)
Maraschino cherries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. For roulade, in a small bowl combine granulated sugar and sugar substitute; set aside. In a large bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, to egg whites, beating well after each addition. Gently stir in ground hazelnuts, vanilla, and vinegar.
3. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Tap pan lightly on countertop to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is a pale golden color, firm to the touch, and set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine half of the whipped dessert topping and the chocolate hazelnut spread; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until blended. Fold in the remaining whipped dessert topping.
5. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on a large sheet of parchment paper. Using a small knife or thin metal spatula, loosen edges of the roulade from the baking pan. Invert cooled roulade onto the powdered sugar-coated parchment paper. Carefully remove parchment paper from cooled roulade. Spread roulade with the whipped dessert topping mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the roulade to soften. Starting from a short side, carefully roll up into a spiral. (It is normal for the roulade to crack slightly as you roll it.) If desired, trim ends of the roulade. Cover and chill roulade in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours before serving. If desired, garnish with chopped hazelnuts and maraschino cherries.
* To toast hazelnuts (filberts), preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Place the warm nuts on a clean kitchen towel. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the loose skins.