1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
5 eggs, separated
3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup light cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups finely chopped pecans, plus pecan halves to garnish
1. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
2. With an electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Gradually add sugar. Beat until very light and fluffy. In a bowl, beat yolks for 5 minutes, until thick; fold into sugar mixture.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, salt onto waxed paper; alternately add to yolk mixture with cream and vanilla. Fold in pecans.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until they form stiff but not dry peaks. Fold into batter; spread into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until cracked slightly. Cool cake in pan. Remove from pan; spoon on Sugar Glaze. Top with pecan halves.
1. Combine 1 cup confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a small bowl. Add about 5 teaspoons milk to make a thick, pouring consistency.