1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Sifted powdered sugar
1 quart fat-free vanilla ice cream, softened
1/4 cup broken pecans
1 recipe Raspberry Sauce (optional) (see below)
Fresh raspberries (optional)
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
2/3 cup seedless raspberry spreadable fruit
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Grease and flour a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on medium speed about 5 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved. Thoroughly wash beaters.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold yolk mixture into the egg white mixture. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently, just until combined. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
4. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan; turn out onto a clean dish towel sprinkled with sifted powdered sugar. Starting with a narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Unroll the cake. Spread softened ice cream onto cake to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with pecans. Reroll cake without towel. Wrap and freeze at least 4 hours before serving. To serve, if desired, drizzle Raspberry Sauce over the serving plates. Slice the cake; place on plates. If desired, garnish with raspberries and mint. Makes 10 servings.
1. In a small saucepan combine 2/3 cup seedless raspberry spreadable fruit, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Cook and stir just until melted. Cool slightly.
Make Ahead Tip
Prepare as above. Wrap tightly. Store in freezer for up to 2 weeks.