1 2 1/2 - 3 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
5 slices bacon
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 - 3 cups water
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch-long pieces (1 pound)
1 cup frozen peas
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-1/2-inch cubes. Place in a plastic bag; add flour. Shake to coat; set aside.
2. In an oven-going Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside. Return 3 tablespoons drippings to the Dutch oven.
3. Brown meat, half at a time, in hot drippings, adding more drippings if necessary. Remove all meat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook until tender. Return meat to pan; add bacon, 2 cups water, chili sauce, bouillon granules, thyme, basil, and pepper. Bring to boiling.
4. Cover and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 2-1/2 hours. (Add more water during cooking, if necessary.)
5. Meanwhile, cook the carrots in boiling water about 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
6. Stir carrot pieces into stew. Sprinkle frozen peas over the mixture. Cover and bake about 15 minutes more or until the meat is tender. Makes 6 servings.