2 16 ounce boxes poundcake mix (using eggs and water as indicated on package)
3 cans (1 pound each) vanilla frosting or chocolate frosting
1 tube (7 ounces) marzipan
Assorted food paste colors
1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate or white chocolate
20 feet thin ribbon, for wrapping and bows
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 mini angel-food cake pans (1-1/3 cups each) or one 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Dust pan(s) with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Following package directions, prepare 2 boxes poundcake mix, using eggs and water. Pour 3/4 cup batter into each prepared mini-pan or all of the batter into large prepared baking pan. If baking 4 mini-cakes at a time, refrigerate remaining batter; allow slightly longer baking time for the cold batter.
3. Bake in 350 degree F oven, 20 to 25 minutes for mini-pans, or 60 minutes for large pan, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Unmold mini-cakes onto wire rack. If using large pan, unmold cake and cool; invert; trim top level with serrated knife. Cut into 3-inch pieces for total of 12 mini-cakes; brush off crumbs, and place cakes on wire rack. Then place rack on a tray with a lip to catch frosting drips.
5. Spoon the frosting into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until consistency of thickened liquid. Pour over cakes, 1/3 to 1/2 cup per cake; spread with thin spatula to cover cakes, including sides; do not overwork frosting while spreading. Let stand 15 minutes or until set. Cover with second coat of frosting. If frosting begins to firm up, microwave 10 seconds to loosen. Refrigerate any leftover frosting for other uses.