1 package 2-layer-size desired flavor cake mix
2 16 ounce cans creamy white frosting*
1 16 ounce can chocolate frosting*
Buttercup-yellow paste food coloring
Red food coloring
Strawberry preserves and/or chocolate ice cream topping
Chopped nuts, colored sprinkles, miniature chocolate pieces, and/or maraschino cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour one 8x8-inch baking pan. Set aside. Line twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with foil bake cups or paper bake cups. Set aside.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, pouring half of the batter into prepared baking pan and dividing remaining batter among muffin cups. Bake cupcakes in preheated oven according to timing on package and bake square cake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes and cake on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes and square cake from pans. Cool completely.
3. Cut the square cake into a cone shape by cutting off two triangles from each side of the cake (see diagram). Place the cone shape on a large flat platter or covered cake board. Place the two smaller triangles side by side on another large flat platter or covered cake board to create a second cone shape.
4. Tint one can of the white frosting with a small amount of buttercup-yellow food coloring. Use the frosting to frost the two cone shapes. In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup white frosting and 1 tablespoon chocolate frosting until well combined. Using a piping bag fitted with a small open-hole tip, pipe lightened chocolate frosting atop cone cakes in a diamond-shape pattern.
5. Tint a small amount of the white frosting pink using a small amount of red food coloring; use to frost a few of the cupcakes. Top with a small amount of strawberry preserves and/or chocolate ice cream topping. Frost the remaining cupcakes with white frosting or chocolate frosting. Top with nuts, sprinkles, chocolate pieces, and/or cherries.
6. Arrange six cupcakes above each of the cones on the platters to look like stacks of ice cream scoops.
1. You will have leftover frosting. Save for another use.