1 1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
1 14 1/2 ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 - 2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, chopped*
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 6 - 7 inches whole wheat or low-fat flour tortillas, warmed
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3 ounces) (optional)
1 Pico de Gallo Salsa (below) (optional)
Pico de Gallo Salsa:
1 cup finely chopped tomato, (2 medium)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1 fresh serrano chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped, peeled jicama
1/4 cup thin radish strips
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 6 pieces. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, place meat, undrained tomatoes, onion, chipotle peppers, oregano, garlic, salt, and cumin.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Remove meat from slow cooker; reserve cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Stir enough of the reserved cooking liquid into meat to moisten.
4. To serve, spoon meat just below centers of tortillas. If desired, top with cheese and Pico de Gallo Salsa. Roll up tortillas. Makes 6 burritos.
Pico de Gallo Salsa
1. In a small bowl, combine tomato, onion, cilantro, and serrano chile pepper.* Stir in jicama and radish strips. Cover and chill for several hours before serving.
*Test Kitchen Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.