1/4 cup Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking Mix
3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 pound bacon slices
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped carrots
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic gloves
2 cups red wine
29 ounces beef broth
1 teaspoon 1 bay leaf
1/2 pound white mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Season beef cubes with salt and pepper. Spread bake mix in a baking dish and lightly coat cubes, tapping to remove any excess.
2. In a large stock pot (or Dutch oven) over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside.
3. Add oil to remaining bacon fat in pot. Over medium-high heat, brown beef cubes in batches. Remove beef from pot, and add onion, carrot, and celery and saute over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, until aroma is released.
4. Pour in wine and increase heat to high. Boil wine until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Return beef and accumulated juices to pot. Pour in beef broth and add bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 2 hours. Add mushrooms, thyme, and parsley and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, until beef is fork-tender and sauce has thickened.
5. Remove bay leaf, and serve with crumbled bacon.