12 ounces beef flank steak
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 green onion, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dry sherry (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 small orange and/or red sweet peppers, quartered
4 limes, each cut into 8 wedges
3/4 cup fresh pea pods, trimmed and halved crosswise diagonally
30 strawberry, grape, and/or cherry tomatoes
1. Trim fat from meat. Score both sides of meat in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
1. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, green onion, sugar, sherry (if desired), garlic, the 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, and the crushed red pepper. Pour marinade over meat. Seal bag; turn to coat meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain meat, discarding marinade.
2. Place meat on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 12 to 14 minutes or until medium (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. While the meat is grilling, add sweet pepper pieces and lime wedges to grill. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. Cut meat and sweet peppers into 1-inch pieces
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook pea pods in a small amount of boiling water for 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
4. To serve, thread meat pieces, sweet pepper pieces, pea pods, and tomatoes onto wooden skewers. Sprinkle with additional sesame seeds and serve with the grilled lime wedges. Makes 30 servings
*Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 29 cal.