1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound boneless beef chuck or sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut in 1-inch cubes
1 recipe Mashed Carrots, see below
1 recipe Lemon Gremolata, see below
1 pound peeled and sliced carrots
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
2 teaspoons shredded lemon peel
1 clove minced garlic
1. In a self-sealing plastic bag in shallow dish add soy sauce, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, and red pepper. Add meat to bag. Seal and turn to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Drain beef mixture, discard marinade. Thread beef on 8-inch wooden* or metal skewers, leaving 1/4-inch between.
3. For charcoal grill, cook skewers on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 14 minutes or until desired doneness, (160 degrees F for medium) turning occasionally and moving to cooler areas of grill if browning too quickly. (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Add skewers to grill. Cover; grill as above.) Makes 4 servings.
4. Serve with Mashed Carrots. Sprinkle with Lemon Gremolata.
1. In medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in small amount of boiling salted water 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to saucepan. Add lemon juice and olive oil. Mash until nearly smooth. Season to taste with black pepper.
1. In small bowl combine basil, lemon peel and garlic.
* If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using.