6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups dry red wine or Progresso® beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 dried bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
4 medium onions, sliced
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
1. In 4-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon over low heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp; remove bacon with slotted spoon. Refrigerate bacon.
2. Coat beef with flour. Cook beef in bacon drippings over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until brown. Drain excess fat from Dutch oven.
3. Add wine and just enough water to cover beef in Dutch oven. Stir in thyme, salt, bouillon granules, pepper, garlic and bay leaf. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
4. In 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook mushrooms and onions in butter, stirring frequently, until onions are tender. Stir mushroom mixture and bacon into stew. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Garnish stew with parsley.
1. High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.