3/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 4 ounce package sweet baking chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strong coffee or water
1 recipe Coconut-Pecan FrostingCoconut-Pecan Frosting
1 1/3 cups half-and-half
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 7 ounce package (2-2/3 cups) coconut
1 cup chopped toasted pecans
1. Separate eggs. Let eggs and butter stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms of three 9-inch round cake pans. Line with waxed or parchment paper; grease and flour bottoms and sides. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In medium bowl stir together flour, pecans, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. In 4-quart bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each. Beat in chocolate on low.
3. In bowl combine buttermilk and coffee. Alternately add with flour mixture to butter mixture; beat well after each. With spatula fold in egg whites. Spread batter in pans.
4. Bake 25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove; peel off paper. Cool on wire racks.
5. Prepare Coconut-Pecan Frosting. Spread 1 cup on rounded tops of two layers. Add third layer, flat side down; spread with remaining frosting. Makes 16 servings.
1. In saucepan slightly beat eggs. Stir in half-and-half, sugar, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat 10 minutes, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in coconut and pecans. Cover and cool. Makes 3-1/2 cups.